Filled Under:

3 Reasons We Should Save The Bees


save the bees


 Recently researchers have begun to notice a disturbing trend, which has led to the cry "save the bees". Researchers note that honey bee colony populations have dropped since the 1940s almost in half from 5 million to approximately 2.5 million. Researchers note that many causes may be attributed to this disturbing trend from our use of pesticides to the presence of bacteria parasites in the air. A lack of pollen may also be a contributing factor. Because of this many are saying we must "save the bees"


I don't know about you but I have been afraid of bees my whole life. I am not allergic, I often explain, I just have an irrational fear of bees. When I hear or see one I run and if I have the right tools I may choose fight over flight. Maybe it's because I was stung when a sweat bee crawled into my shirt at the age of 9 or because I listen to my father cry aloud as he met a yellow jacket at age six. I've even had nightmares about houses filled bees, bees crawling into my ears to sting out my brains, and the list goes on.

Despite my fears, however, I am convinced that more people should be involved in helping the bees. I may be a bit bias since bees wax is one of my favorite skincare product ingredients (along with coconut oil) but there are many reasons we should be striving to save the bees. Let's take a look at why we should save the bees by considering what they have to contribute.

Beeswax
As I mentioned before beeswax is an excellent ingredient for any skin care product. Not only can it add a natural thickness to any blend (similar to glycerine, a processed form of corn starch used in many over the counter skincare products) it also combines a moisturizing effect with a safe seal. In other words, your skin is fully moisturized and the beeswax adds a protective layer to seal in the natural moisture and protect from outside irritation.

Beeswax has also been used for various itches and skin irritations and is an ideal salve for poison ivy and poison oak.

Beeswax makes an amazing lip balm and has many unconventional uses outside of skin care from candles to letter seals and natural lubicrants.

Still, think the endeavor to save the bees is none of your beeswax? There's more!

Honey


You probably won't hear anyone who wants to save the bees talk about the importance of these efforts without hearing about honey, and why not? Without honey, the world would be a little less sweet. Honey is a great natural sweetener and alternative sugar. Personally, I like to put it in my tea. But there's more.

Honey is also known for fighting sickness and strengthening the immune system and contains antibacterial and antifungal qualities that make it a great antiseptic.

Consumed with warm water it aids the stomach in digestion and improves over all metabolism in a process that may contribute to weight loss.

Finally, like beeswax honey may be quite beneficial with both moisturizing and even potential healing properties when used as a skin treatment combined with milk. I guess the Israelites had soft skin when they finally claimed the Promised Land.

So there you have it, no bees, no honey! So save the bees to keep the world sweet (and healthy)

Food

Researchers estimate that approximately 1/3 of the food we enjoy here in the United States alone can directly attributed to the bees. They play a vital role in the pollination process of countless fruits, vegetables, and a cornucopia of crops we enjoy each day. If we don't save the bees we might find ourselves a little more hungry.

How Can You Help 
You can help save the bees in many ways from helping to reduce the use of pesticides to shopping with local farmers who support your local beekeepers. You may also grow and cultivate bee-beneficial plants around your own home or community. You may also help  save the bees by donating to the Pollinator Partnership, an organization dedicated to effort to save the bees!  


0 comments:

Post a Comment